Friday, November 9, 2012

Great Danes - Things you should have on hand



One of the things that took me a while to get all the information on when I bought my first Great Dane puppy was information on general things that a person should have on hand for them.  My list is short and certainly not at all all-inclusive.  I am certain that I am still going to forget some things.  If you think of something that I have missed please be sure to leave a comment.

Gas -x or any version of simethicone -

 Simethicone is an oral anti-foaming agent used to reduce bloating, discomfort and pain caused by excess gas in the stomach or intestinal tract. It is a mixture of polydimethylsiloxane and hydrated silica gel. (wikipedia)

Styptic Powder -

Handy for mishaps in cutting a nail too short.  An antihemorrhagic (antihaemorrhagic) agent is a substance that promotes hemostasis (stops bleeding).[1] It may also be known as a hemostatic (also spelled haemostatic) agent.[2]

Styptics (also spelled stiptics) are a specific type of antihemorrhagic agent that work by contracting tissue to seal injured blood vessels. Styptic pencils contain astringents  (wikepedia)


Metal or Glass Bowls -

These will help with the acne that Great Danes are prone to.  Keep the bowls clean.  Never use plastic bowls.

Martingale style Collar -

Great Danes, like a greyhound, can easily back out of their collars.   Flat collars are not the best option for this breed.

Martingale collars like the ones made at Big Dawg Collars http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Dawg-Collars/123765707700360?ref=ts&fref=ts are well made and help prevent this problem.  they are also an excellent training tool.

Crazy Glue -

Use to close small cuts that your dog may get.  If your vet tries to sell you "vet glue", remember that is just crazy glue with a vet fee applied.


Plenty of rags and old towels -

I always place an old towel or place mat under the dogs bowls as (TRUST ME) water will POUR out of their lips after a drink.  

Bag Balm -
 
One of my dane friends suggested I add this.  I have never used it, but know of many dane owners that do.  http://www.petonly.ca/Bag_Balm_Ointment_Canada_p/081-00001.htm

 





2 comments: