Friday, October 26, 2012

What are Great Danes REALLY like as Pets???

Before getting my first Great Dane puppy, I was determined to learn as much as I could about the breed.  I have wanted a Great Dane since I was a child, and after forty years of waiting...I wanted to do right by this breed and my dog, my family member.



As I researched, I found some sites like "The Great Dane lady" and many others that sadly are receipt of profit from the products they recommend.  All of the information was very general.  Stating things like :

They are gentle giants...
They do not require much exercise...
They make great apartment dogs...
Extremely docile...
GREAT with kids and small animals...


I will start by saying after getting my first Great Dane pup ( a merle boy) that I can DEBUNK EVERY one of these comments for this dog.

After Getting him, I got a rescue dane and an adoption.

Now, ALL three are as different as night and day.



Let me discuss "gentle giants".

 A Gentle giant is created not born.  Finding a great reputable breeder will help in this regard.  One that breeds for temperament as well as quality.  And a qualified puppy training class is also crucial.  I can not begin to state the importance of proper socialization with people and animals as well.

They do not require much exercise

Again, a false statement.  ALL dogs require a lot of exercise.  Just as all people do.  However with that being said, my merle requires at least three walks a day and a long run behind the quad in open farm land.  My Fawn requires 3 walks a day and far less running.  My blue, requires 2 walks a day and rarely runs at all.  So THERE IS NO STANDARD or typical amount that they require.  It depends on the Dane.

They make great apartment dogs

There is NO WAY that my merle could ever live in an apartment.  He would run back and forth causing noise like a stomping child, he would bark at every sound.  However, my fawn and my blue probably would fare quite well in an apartment.  So again...NOT ALL DANES make great apartment dogs.

They are extremely docile

Yes, two of my three are.  BUT THE THIRD (the merle) is like a Jack Russell Terrier caught in a Great Dane body.  He is the exact opposite of docile.  He is exhausting.  I love him with all my heart, but docile he is NOT.

Great with kids and small animals

Again, SOME may be...BUT NONE of mine are.  I would never leave them alone with children.  i would allow kids to pet 2 of them in my presence, but again the merle just simply is not a fan of kids.

And as far as small animals go, most danes that I know (including my 3) have such a high prey drive that they will try and chase small animals.  If your dog has been well trained you can prevent this.  But if your dog, is like my merle, it is an exhausting task of finding the right "no pull" tool like halti's, no pull harness. prong collars etc. I have had broken bones and many bruises and cuts from being suddenly dragged by a 165 pound Great Dane "puppy" as he bolted after a cat, or even plastic bag blowing across the lawn.

Basically...what I am trying to say is that NOT ALL GREAT DANES are the same...

NOT ALL fall into the stereotype.

I love and adore the Great Dane breed like NO OTHER.  I will always have Great Danes in my life.

I just truly wish that someone...anyone... would have told me THIS information prior to having to learn it on my own.  I hope it helps someone else.

There are FANTASTIC sites like Great Danes Online  http://www.danesonline.com/

Another great way to learn more is to join groups on Face book like Dane Buzz or many others.

I strongly believe that choosing a breed that suits a person's lifestyle is crucial to having a forever pet.  I want people to know, that just as people of a certain race can not be described as having the same characteristics.. MOST BREEDS DO NOT HAVE THE SAME CHARACTERISTICS across the board either.  So learn...learn...and learn.  But In my view, the best way to learn is by experienced owners of that breed.





2 comments: